Announcements from previous years can be found here:
2014-02-02 Tomcat 8.0.1 (beta) Released
The Apache Tomcat Project is proud to announce the release of version 8.0.1 (beta) of Apache Tomcat. Tomcat 8 is aligned with Java EE 7. In addition to supporting updated versions of the Java EE specifications, Tomcat 8 includes a number of improvements compared to Tomcat 7. The notable changes include:
- Support for Java Servlet 3.1, JavaServer Pages 2.3, Java Unified Expression Language 3.0 and Java WebSocket 1.0.
- The default connector implementation is now the Java non-blocking implementation (NIO) for both HTTP and AJP.
- A new resources implementation that replaces Aliases, VirtualLoader, VirtualDirContext, JAR resources and external repositories with a single, consistent approach for configuring additional web application resources. The new resources implementation can also be used to implement overlays (using a master WAR as the basis for multiple web applications that each have their own customizations).
Apache Tomcat 8.0.1 (beta) includes numerous fixes for issues identified in RC10 as well as a number of other enhancements and changes. The notable changes since RC10 include:
- Fix sendFile support for the NIO connector.
- Move control of caching and linking options from the Context to the WebResourceRoot to enable them to by changed while the web application is running.
- Add support for a dedicated listener for class loader binding and unbinding events.
Full details of these changes, and all the other changes, are available in the Tomcat 8 changelog.
The purpose of this beta release is to give users an opportunity to test Tomcat 8 and to provide feedback to the Tomcat community. Although it is a beta release, it is expected to run stably and is being used in production at the ASF for the ASF's Jira instance. The beta status is primarily because the Tomcat developers feel more feedback is required before a stable release. It is also because 8.0.1 depends on a snapshot rather than a release build of Apache Commons DBCP2 and because there may be a small amount of further refactoring.
2014-01-08 Tomcat 7.0.50 Released
The Apache Tomcat Project is proud to announce the release of version 7.0.50 of Apache Tomcat. This release contains a number of bug fixes and improvements compared to version 7.0.47.
Full details of these changes, and all the other changes, are available in the Tomcat 7 changelog.